As South AFRICA celebrates twenty (20) years of freedom, musician Malibongwe Gcwabe has just released his twentieth album called: 20 years of God’s favour. He took some time to answer TT’s 10 Questions;
1. When did you discover your love and passion for music?
A. At an early age of eight years, I sang in the church choir and also sang isicathamiya. At school I sang a solo piece because I had a nice tenor voice. i started to record professionally in 1994.
2. What do you think is the role of gospel music in today’s society? is the industry currently in line with that role?
A. Gospel gives hope to the hopeless, it gives comfort to people going through hard times. In one word, gospel is good news.
3. Who is your favourite musician of all time?
A. (Laughs) Donnie McClurkin and Bra Hugh Masekela inspire me a lot.
4. Are there any musicians that you are grooming?
A. Yes, there’s an upcoming artist by the name of Sbu. But most of them are already in the industry.
5. How do you prepare for a show or concert?
A. Every show is different and circumstances differ. But my advise is to stay humble and be a servant of the people.
6. Tell us about your 20th Album?
A. The title of the album says it all. Its called 20 years of God’s favour, it was a favour from above, it was the grace from God. I Say this because its not been an easy journey, somewhere somehow the road was bumpy, especially in the first 10 years, I felt like giving up but in God I trusted.
7. Are there more albums to come in the future?
A. Music, unlike Soccer is age-unlimited. I still have a lot to offer.
8. What would you say is the secrete to staying relevant in the music busy-ness?
A. Be your self, thats all. Find your mission in life.
9. What is your massage to up and coming musicians?
A. God is Alpha and Omega. Maybe your start might be difficult but don’t forget greater things are coming.
10. Any upcoming events in the festive season, also your massage for the season?
A. I’m busy now performing until the pass over but I want to tell the supporters and music lovers that early next year, I will be shooting the DVD of my current album.
“I wish everyone a splendid festive, merry christmas and a Happy New Year, play safe …”
TT: Thank you.
May 15, 2013; Ningelinde nami-Malibongwe Gcwabe. Sisonke Bonisa Siwayi:
April 13, 2016; Donnie McClurkin – I Need You (Audio). DonnieMcClurkinVEVO:
July 8, 2008; Hugh Masekela- Thanayi. Ncamiso khanyile: